“Opportunity dances with those already on the dance floor.” ~H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
In the last few weeks, the Board has been made aware of an opportunity to obtain grant money for the church, which would enable us to make some improvements to our building. We are in the process of applying for a $10,000.00 Chalice Lighter Grant from the MidAmerica Region of the UUA.
If we are fortunate enough to receive this grant money, it will be put toward a number of special projects and improvements including:
- The addition of a permanent wall to separate the Spirit Play room from the fireplace meeting room and the sanctuary and act as a noise buffer;
- Renovations and equipment to upgrade the kitchen to a commercial kitchen (and a potential source of income for the church);
- The purchase of a digital sign with an LED message board that would allow us to display information about our church and special events to the many drivers along Bull Valley Road;
- New computers and phones for the church office and minister’s office;
- The addition of a permanent wall for the minister’s office to buffer noise and provide more privacy.
- The purchase of a wireless microphone system for our Worship and Music programs.
Chalice Lighter Grants are funded by individual UU’s like you and me, from all around the country. Three times a year, these people donate money–often small amounts like $20—to “grow” Unitarian Universalism by supporting special projects in other UU congregations.
The committee that reviews grant requests wants to know that receiving congregations are also on board with the projects. Our chance of being awarded grant money increases if we are “already on the dance floor” by demonstrating some financial support of our own. If each of our pledging households donated $25.00 toward this project, we could add almost $4000.00 to whatever we receive from Chalice Lighters. If we each spend a little, the church stands to gain a lot!
Can you hear the music? Will you join me on the dance floor? If so, please let me know by emailing me at email@example.com. If you like the idea, please say so, and if you can contribute toward the projects, please let me know how much you are willing to give. The application and all attendant paperwork are due by August 31, so I need to hear from you by August 26!
Lacing up my dancin’ shoes,
Tree of Life UUC Board President